Texas-style chili gravy, like enchilada sauce.
¼ cup lard or vegetable oil
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons powdered garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups chicken broth or water
- Heat the lard in a skillet over medium/medium-low heat.
- Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 or 4 minutes, until it makes a light brown roux.
- Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending the ingredients.
- Add the chicken broth, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.