Swedish Visiting Cake
1 cup sugar (plus more more sprinkling on top right before baking)
grated zest of one lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
1 stick melted butter, cooled
¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, add the lemon zest to the sugar. Rub the zest and sugar in between your fingers to release the oils, the sugar will start to smell delicious.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Whisk in the salt and the extracts.
- Change to a spatula and stir in the flour.
- Fold in the butter.
- Stir until combined. Dorie makes her in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. I don’t have one so I used a regular 9-inch cake pan. I used a little of the melted butter to grease the pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and top with the sliced almonds and a generous sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. It will be golden and the edges will have a nice crust.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then take a knife and run it around the edge of the pan.
- This cake can be served warm (and really is there anything more delicious than a warm cake?) or at room temperature.