1½ cups basmati rice
2½ cups chicken stock
1½ teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- In a small covered saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the salt and pepper and cover to keep hot.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the foam begins to subside.
- Add the onion to the butter and saute until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains; cook until the edges of the grains become translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir the hot seasoned stock into the rice; return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 16-18 minutes.
- Off the heat, remove the lid and place a clean kitchen towel folded in half over the saucepan and replace the lid.
- Let the steaming rice sit for 10 minutes, then fluff and serve forth.