Macaroni and cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons powdered mustard
¼ teaspoon cayenne
5 cups milk
8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender.
- Drain pasta and set aside in colander.
- In now-empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming.
- Add flour, mustard, and cayenne, and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (must reach full boil to fully thicken).
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted.
- Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.