Glazed carrots with orange juice and star anise
Make this up the night before, as the flavour will be improved the next day.
6 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 2cm pieces
400 mL orange juice
100 mL chicken stock
1 star anise
3 cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
75 grams soft dark brown sugar
Few knobs of butter
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for about 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots into a bowl.
- Boil the remaining liquid in the pot for 15-20 minutes until reduced to a thick, syrupy consistency.
- Whisk in a few knobs of butter for extra shine.
- Return the carrots to the pan and toss to coat evenly in the glaze.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.