6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chopped onion
6 green onions and tops, chopped
½ cup chopped bell pepper
½ cup chopped celery
2 cups stock or water
3 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 small bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
Creole seasoning to taste
Tabasco to taste
White rice for serving
- In a skillet, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until this is a rich brown.
- Add the vegetables and cook until tender.
- Stir in the stock, parsley, and seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, add the shrimp, and cook until the shrimp are done, just a few minutes.
Serve over hot rice. Serves 4 to 6.