This recipe is Don's technique, a "reverse smoke" with dry rub, sous vide to cook, then smoke for flavor.
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons salt
- Tie the pork up with string in case it tries to fall apart after sous vide.
- Rub the pork butt generously with the dry rub. Save a few tablespoons to rub again before smoking.
- Place into vacuum bag and sous vide at 165° F for 18-24 hours.
- Remove from sous vide, drain and reserve juices, then refrigerate until ready to smoke.
- Apply the reserved dry rub.
- Smoke at 225-250° F for 2-3 hours.
- Pull the pork and serve forth.