For the topping...
99 grams granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the dough...
113 grams lukewarm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
241 grams King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Make the topping: Blend the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, or shake them together in a small lidded container. Set aside.
- Place water, vegetable oil, egg, salt, sugar, and yeast in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, stirring to blend.
- Add the second cup of flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes; this gives the flour a chance to absorb the liquid, making it easier to knead.
- Knead the dough — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — till it's soft and smooth.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup, cover it, and let the dough rise for 30 to 60 minutes, till it's doubled in size.
- Gently deflate the dough, and place it on a clean, lightly greased work surface; a silicone mat works well here. Divide it into pieces about 1½" in diameter; you'll make 16 to 18 pieces.
- Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan. Dip each piece in water, then roll it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
- Place the pieces in a single layer in the prepared pan. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon-sugar over the top.
- Cover the pan, and let the bread rise for 30 to 60 minutes, till it's visibly puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the pan, and bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, till it's golden brown and feels set.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately turn the pan over onto a cooling rack. Lift the pan off the bread, and scrape any leftover topping in the pan onto the bread.
- Pull the bread apart to serve. Serve warm, or at room temperature.