240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
170 grams (¾ cup) milk
- Preheat oven to 450° F (230° C).
- In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour milk into flour mixture while stirring with a fork. Mix in milk until dough is soft, moist and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and toss with flour until no longer sticky. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet and cut with a floured biscuit or cookie cutter. Press together unused dough and repeat rolling and cutting procedure.
- Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- While rolling the biscuits, keep folding the dough over on itself "croissant style" for flaky layers!
- If you brush the biscuits with melted butter before you bake them, they get kinda crispy in a pleasing way.