30% whole wheat sandwich bread
298 grams (2½ cups) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
114 grams (1 cup) King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2½ tablespoons sugar
35 grams (¼ cup) Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
283 grams (1¼ cup) lukewarm water
3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients until a rough dough forms, then knead (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 to 7 minutes by machine at speed 2) until the dough is smooth and satiny.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour (or allow the bread machine to complete its cycle). The dough will become somewhat puffy, but probably won't double in bulk.
- Shape the dough into a loaf, and place it in a lightly greased 8½" x 4½" bread pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise until it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan (about 1 to 1½ hours).
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35 minutes, or until its interior registers 190°F on a digital thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven, take it out of the pan, and allow it to cool on a rack.